We just received the engine part back from our machine shop today for the Plymouth P15. We’re going reassemble the motor starting Monday and then cross off the engine on our check list. Stay tuned….
Kenny is working on the Plymouth engine today and has found already found a few broken compression rings during the tear down.
Dave has now removed the engine from the Plymouth and we are working on prepping the block for the rebuild. The exhaust manifold is currently rusted solid to the block via some very old, very rusty bolts. Number of rusty bolts broken in the removal process….4 and counting. We’ll be drilling these out later so no problem there. The fly wheel cover was full of water so those bolts should be interested to remove as well.
We also tested the entire electrical system to find out if anything was usable. We found the points to be totally burned up, the distributor bushings are not so good. The wiring under the hood is in really bad condition but since we are running an entirely new harness in the car, we’re worry free in that region
This original 1947 Plymouth came in for a full restoration. This is a one family car and has always been garaged leaving us with a great restoration candidate. The body is totally rust free with the exception of two small spots on the floor and the motor is very usable for a complete overhaul.
Check out the flathead inline 6 – for the uninitiated, the valves of a flathead engine are inside the block instead of in the head, as shown below.